“Shinnecock Canal constructed between 1884 and 1892 first N.Y.S. salt water canal site of Native American (Shinnecock Nation)  Portage...”The need for digging a canal had been talked of as early as 1826.

Canoe Place derives from the Native American word  “Niamuck”which describes a canoe portage at Shinnecock Creek.

Please read about Shinnecock Indian Nation  in their own words.

And in those by Dr. John A. Strong, (Retired) Professor and Independent Historian, who lives in Shinnecock Hills with his wife Jane. Strong has a Ph.D. in social studies; an expert on Native Americans in Colonial America, particularly the Indians of the East Coast, and Long Island. Prof. Strong is the author of The Unkechaug Indians of Eastern Long Island (book), “Wyandanch, Sachem of the Montauketts” in Awakening the Past: The East Hampton 350th Anniversary Lecture; The Algonquian Peoples of Long Island From Earliest Times to 1700; ”The Pigskin Book: Record of Native American Whalemen”, Long Island Historical Journal and more here by John A. Strong:

The Thirteen Tribes of Long Island: The History of a Myth

The Long Island Historical Journal_1994_Strong_The Reaffirmation of Tradition Among the Native Americans of Eastern Long Island_ read pages 42-67 here:

The Shinnecock Casino Campaign: Tribal Identity, Local Politics and Tangled Legalities

Also, recommended to read:

Shinnecock Nation Cultural Center and Museum

The Early History of Southampton, L.I. by George Rogers Howell, published 1887

History of the Canal System Chapter XII The Shinnecock and Peconic Canal by Noble E. Whitford

Colonizing Southampton, The Transformation of a Long Island Community  1870 - 1900”  by David Goddard

read about Nownow.html
local history:
Shinnecock Canal Canoe Place
 40°53′15″N 72°30′5″Whome_index.html

scroll right

The Long Island Canal and Navigation Company was hired to construct the 4,700-foot-long, 40-foot-wide Canal. The project broke ground in 1884; tide waters washed out the original walls. Read more...canal_ny_times.html
June 19, 1884: A Railroad’s Semi-Centennial
Four hundred Guests inspecting the improvements on Long Island. The Long Island Railroad celebrated its fiftieth birthday in an appropriate manner yesterday. Nine special cars, three of which started from Flatbush, while the remainder set forth from Long Island City, were placed at the disposal of the 400 ladies and gentlemen who availed themselves  of the occasion for a trip to the Shinnecock Hills, a distance of 88 miles. Read more.....railroads_semi-centennial.html
1873,  Map published by Beers, Comstock & Cline

1842 Geological Map published by W.W. Mather

1858 map, J.Chace, Jr.

1863 map, J.H.Colton

1913,  Us Geological Map published by Julius Bien & Co
1884,  Colton’s New Map of Long Island
1895,  Suffolk County Map published by Julius Bien & Co

copyright2015 Hope Sandrow

1890,  Map United States Coast Survey